Aeropress Brew Guide
Delicious coffee with an Aeropress in 7 easy steps.
The Aeropress is a cheap and portable little gadget with makes great coffee wherever you are: at home, at work or on a road trip. This method is particularly useful when you're away from base as you don't need any fancy equipment. If you don't have an Aeropress or think it would make a great gift then you can get one here.
What you'll need
- Aeropress Brewer
- Aeropress Filter
- 1 Aeropress Scoop (17g) or around 2 tablesoons of coffee.
- Hot water just off the boil (96 degrees celcius or 205°F)
- AeroPress paddle or spoon
Let's Get Brewing
- Measure and grind 17g of coffee — one rounded AeroPress spoonful or about 2 ½ Tablespoons. Grind the coffee about as fine as table salt.
- Get the AeroPress ready to brew by placing the filter in the basket. Then preheat the brewer and rinse the filter with hot water. This gets rid of any paper flavour and warms everything up. Heat up your mug with hot water while you’re at it.
- Discard the rinse water from your mug. Join the basket to the bottom of the brew chamber and place it on top of the mug. If your Aeropress came with a funnel use this to add 17g of coffee. Then, remove the funnel.
- Start your timer when you pour hot water (just off the boil or about 96 degrees celcius/205°F) into your brewer. Saturate all the grounds within 10 seconds. Pour to the No. 4 or 220g of water if you’re using a scale. Spin the chamber, making sure all the coffee is saturated.
- Once you hit the No. 4, stir the “slurry” (coffee and water mixture) and place the plunger on the brew chamber and pull up slightly to create a pressure seal. Don’t plunge yet!
- At one minute 15 seconds remove the pressure seal and give the slurry another stir with a spoon or paddle. Put the plunger back on and gently press down with steady pressure, stopping as soon as you hear a hissing sound. This entire brew process should take just under two minutes.
- The AeroPress is easy to clean. Simply take off the basket and pop out the coffee grounds and filter. Clean the rubber plunger with hot kettle water and you’re ready for your next brew.
You're done. Now you can sit back, relax and enjoy your great coffee.